Once again I had a craving for a good chunky granola, the ones you just snack straight from the jar. So I almost wanted to go to the supermarket to buy some. But to be honest, the pre-packed ones I actually don’t really like … much too sweet! Or too expensive for a gluten free / healthy variant … So time to get started! I thought of a trick I once learned to make the granola really crispy and chunky. Namely to scoop an egg white through the mixture before baking it! This makes everything stick together and you get those crunchy chunks. Yummie!Print
Granola with oatmeal & nuts
Crunchy & chunky gluten free granola.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 jar 1x
- 150 g oatmeal
- 20 g flax seed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp gingerbread spices
- 115 g nuts (I use a combination of almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts)
- 75 g honey and / or maple syrup
- 30 g coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- preheat the oven to 150 °C / 300 °F.
- in a mixing bowl, weigh the oatmeal, flax seed, cinnamon, spices and nuts and mix well.
- melt the honey and / or maple syrup with the coconut oil in a sauce pan over low heat.
- stir the liquid into the dry mixture.
- beat the egg white well in a clean bowl, untill they are stiff.
- spoon just enough tablespoons of the beaten egg whites into your granola to create nice chunks (scoop carefully and not too long..!).
- spread the granola on a parchment-lined baking sheet (but leave the chunks intact!) and bake for about 15-20 minutes until brown and crispy.
- during the baking process, scoop the granola 1 or 2 more times carefully, so that the chunks do not fall apart.
- let the granola cool down completely on the baking tray before storing in a nice jar.