i hear myself sighing while sitting down in front of my crackling fireplace with my hubby and this quiche one winter evening. it was the kind of “aaahh… another year has gone by, we did good, grateful for what we have…” kind of inner relief.
with a nice glass of wine, and, some good music.
Savory pumpkin pie
Sweet, spicy… a comforting pumpkin quiche with a hint of elegant parsnip.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hrs 20 min
- Yield: 4 persons 1x
- 1 small orange pumpkin
- 1/2 tbsp ras el hanout, a Morrocan spice mix
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 500 g parsnips
- 100 g aged goat cheese, freshly grated, or 50 g soft goat cheese & 50 g grated
- 2 eggs
- 200 g oat & buckwheat flour, example: 125 g oat flour & 75 g buckwheat flour
- preheat oven, 220 ºC / 430 ºF .
- wash pumpkin, cut in half, remove seeds. Cut halves into approximately 1 cm thick sections.
- spread pumpkin over 1~2 bake tins.
- coat slices with ras-el-hanout, thyme leaves, & 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- roast pumpkin in oven, 20~25 minutes.
- when pumpkin is ready, switch oven back to 200 ºC / 390 ºF.
- prepare a sauce pan.
- chop onion, squeeze garlic, dice parsnip, fry together with turmeric in 2 tablespoons of oil for 2~3 minutes.
- add 100 ml water, freshly ground pepper & salt to pan, cover sauce pan, simmer parsnip gently, about 15 minutes.
- transfer mixture to food processor, or by mash, into a coarse puree. Stir in 50 g soft cheese & 1 egg.
- in food processor bowl, add flour with 50 g cheese, 1 egg, & 5 tablespoons olive oil, mix into a firm dough.
- in a 26 cm / 10 inch greased pie dish, roll out dough or press onto bottom.
- spread parsnip puree over dough. Place pumpkin pieces on top of puree, drizzle some olive oil over.
- bake quiche on lower rail in oven, 25~30 minutes.
- enjoy this winter delicacy with a glass of your favorite drink.