gado gado, an authentic Indonesian dish which i’m particularly fund of because part of my descent was from Indonesia. when i was preparing gado gado for supper last week, a fun idea came up, i’m going to serve it in a bowl!Print
Gado gado bowl
an exotic tropical recipe, mixed vegetables served with rice & peanut sauce.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 bowl 1x
- 1/2 cup rice
- mixed vegetables of your choice: bean sprouts, bok choy, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, green beans, &/or cauliflower
- optional: tofu & egg
- home-made peanut sauce
- Indonesian Emping cracker, aka: bitter nut cracker
- crispy fried onions
- prepare rice according to instructions.
- boil egg, medium to hard.
- optional: prepare bowl of water & icecubes (to shock been sprouts).
- when finished preparing, simply use 1 saucepan for all vegetables, one at a time, quick blanch, taste for doneness before removing from pan.
- bean sprouts: remove wilting ends if preferred, blanch, shock with ice-cold water to preserve crisp texture.
- green beans: remove both end-tips, blanch.
- bok choy: chop & cook.
- cabbage: chop & cook.
- cauliflower: trim flowers into preferred size, cook or serve raw.
- vegetables that i prefer not-cooked, set aside for later use:
- carrots: cut into long thin strips.
- cucumber: peel off skin, cut into long-halves. remove seeds, slice into preferred thickness.
- prepare dressing.
- assemble your bowl: start with rice at the bottom, group each veggies on top of rice.
- decorate with sliced egg, peanut sauce, some empings, &/or crispy fried onions to your liking.
¡bon-Appetit! or ¡Selamat makan! if you prefer!