I particularly love this gado gado recipe because I am part of Indonesian descent. When I prepared gado gado last week for supper, I just came up with this fun idea to serve it in a bowl!Print
Gado gado bowl
Mixed vegetables served with rice and peanut sauce.
- Prep Time: 30
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 1 bowl 1x
- 1/2 cup rice
- mixed vegetables of your choice: bean sprouts, bok choy, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, green beans and/or cauliflower
- optional: tofu and egg
- home-made peanut sauce and optional:
- bitter nut cracker (emping)
- crispy fried onions
- prepare the rice according to the instructions.
- boil the egg medium to hard.
- prepare all the veggies separately (in order to get them all just crispy and cooked, if needed). You only need a single saucepan to treat all types of vegetables one after the other:
- remove the tops of the green beans and cook them. Taste if they are ready.
- cut small flowers off the cauliflower and cook them shortly, taste if they are ready.
- blanch the bean sprouts and place in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process.
- chop and blanch the bok choy.
- chop and blanch the cabbage.
- cut the carrots into long thin strips, I prefer them not to cook.
- peel the cucumber and slice in half. Remove the seeds and slice.
- Bake the tofu in coconut or vegatable oil.
- Prepare the dressing.
- Now it’s time to assemble your bowl: start with rice and group all veggies on top of it.
- Finish with a sliced egg, peanut sauce and some emping and/or crispy fried onions to your liking.
- Enjoy your bowl!